The theme for the Spring 2012 Trees & Hills anthology is FOOD. As a sort of sequel to our 2008 food-themed anthology Seeds, the title is Sprouts.
As with all our anthologies, we are most interested in both fiction and nonfiction comics with a community-minded orientation – comics that show an awareness of connection to the world around them and aim to make some sort of contribution to it, ideally with direct relevance to our region.
We will post some possible story ideas and links to resources soon.
- Contributors should, of course, live in Vermont, New Hampshire, or western Massachusetts.
- Comics should be suitable for a general audience.
- Please let us know your story idea & approximate length as soon as possible (& let us know if you change your mind).
- Length: 1-6 pages. The printed page size will be 5.5” x 8.5”, image area around 5” x 8” – please proportion your comic accordingly.
- Send 600 dpi B&W .tif files (300 dpi OK if you need to use grayscale) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the format [last name]-[page number] for the filenames – for example Tedford-01.tif. You may also send clean photocopies to Trees & Hills, PO Box 645, Winchester, NH 03470.
- Please include in your email:
- a 1-3 sentence blurb about yourself;
- website or other preferred contact info (if any);
- a mailing address for your contributor copies.
- Deadline: April 22. We’ll announce a time & place for an anthology-finishing party when it gets closer.
- Each contributor will receive one copy of SPROUTS for each page of their work that appears in it. Contributors may purchase additional copies at wholesale (50% of cover price).
- We prefer new comics, but may consider existing work that is a good fit. If accepted, we ask that you not print your submission elsewhere (except an online excerpt) for at least six months from the anthology’s release date.
- SPROUTS will eventually be compiled with other T&H anthologies into a book collection; please let us know if for some reason you would prefer your piece not to appear in the book. Contributors will receive one copy of the book for each piece they have in it, and may purchase additional copies at wholesale (50% of cover price).
- We are also looking for theme-appropriate designs for the contents page and back cover. The contents page will need to have room for us to type in the title, table of contents, and indicia. The back cover needs room for us to type in the list of contributors. Email email@example.com if you are interested.
- Past anthologies
We look forward to seeing your comics!