Get your spooky pen out – Trees & Hills wants you to help us make our third set of Trick or Treat Comics! This set of miniature comics will be perfect for giving to trick-or-treaters or Halloween party-goers.
Content: Spookiness, monsters, ghosts, pumpkins, & other Halloween-related stuff (here’s a list of spooky stuff if you need inspiration). Must be suitable for children.
August 17 31 September 13. We may announce some drawing events before then for people to get together and work on their comics. Join us for a Trick or Treat Comics-making session in Keene, NH on August 9 September 6 with how-to, story idea brainstorming, and of course drawing!
Format: The printed comics will be 2.75″ x 4.25″ (that’s 1/8th-letter size – a sheet of paper folded in half 3 times), 8 pages, portrait orientation, black & white, with 1/4″ margins. Please leave the lower half of the last page blank so we can include information about the collection. First page can be a cover if you like; last page can be a back cover if you like, but in any case you’ll probably want to fit your name & website (or other preferred contact info) there. (PS: If you want to reprint your comic later, this format neatly reconfigures into two 5.5″ x 8.5″ pages. Uncanny!)
How to submit: First, you have to live in Vermont, New Hampshire, or western Massachusetts; give us a mailing address so we can send you a set of comics. Then submit your comic one of the following ways:
- Email your comic to email@example.com as a set of TIF files, one for each page, with filenames formatted [your last name]-tot14-[page number] (e.g. Tedford-tot14-1.tif, Tedford-tot14-2.tif, etc – the “tot14″ stands for “Trick or Treat 2014″). They should be 600 dpi B&W (300dpi greyscale is OK if you’re using ink washes or something).
- Have us scan your art at a Trick or Treat Comics drawing event if we put one (or more) on.
- Send clean photocopies to Trees & Hills Comics Group, PO Box 645, Winchester, NH 03470 (but they absolutely have to arrive by the deadline).
- If you’re unable to produce digital files and don’t have enough time to mail copies, ask nicely and maybe the T&H Mobile Production Unit can scan your comics for you (no guarantees).
End result: The comics will be posted online as freely-downloadable print-ready PDFs; you may print as many copies as you want to give away. We will also be offering printed sets for sale, of which we will send you a copy for free. We may at some point reprint Trick or Treat Comics in a bound and digital anthology; if we do we will send you a minimum of one copy. Do not redistribute PDFs or sell copies of anyone else’s comic without their permission; however, you should feel free to sell your own comic individually and/or offer it for download.
- September 3: Removed outdated reference to landscape orientation; updated file name format (changed “12h” for “2012 Halloween” to “tot14″ for “Trick or Treat 2014″).
- August 31: Linked to list of story seeds, took updates out and put them at bottom, removed rescheduling note.
- August 17: Added new event date & deadline.
- August 8: Added note re: need to reschedule event, new date & deadline to be announced.
- July 31: Added comics-making event.
We look forward to seeing your spooky comics!